Portugal SW Coast
Active bike tour – Go Active!
- Very active bike tour and challenging days – hard level bike tour
- Ever changing landscape: cork oak forests, rice fields, sand dunes, high cliffs, white sandy beaches and coves to explore.
- A gastronomical paradise for the palate. The wines, the food, the sweets…
- Tasty picnics served at the beach or at local restaurants
- Algarve’s picturesque and lively historical centers
- Cycling through incredible and wild scenery on the coast of the Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina NP
- Very nice hotels, including a night in a convent
DescriptionAre you fit? Do you like riding and enjoy climbing? Looking for a hard level bike tour? If so this is the tour for you! If not, choose one of our easier tours. This 8 day active bike tour will take you through some of the wildest and beautiful Portuguese landscapes between pristine natural parks and the cool blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean, taking some easy dirt roads occasionally. This is our most challenging bike tour. Experience the irresistible Portuguese gastronomy with awarded Alentejo wines and enjoy a picnic, in the sands of secluded beaches…there is nothing quite like it! Learn and live the traditions and culture of our heartwarming people so simple and true and know our ways about olive oil, cork extraction, and its many uses, rice fields, pine forests, the dictatorship, and many other intriguing historical facts. Safe routes with a challenge here and there will make for a relaxing and fun ride while you live the present, learn the past and discover the future of one of the oldest and sunniest countries in Europe. Sleep in an array of historical buildings, charm hotels, and agro-tourisms. You can make this trip:
- with us on a guided tour getting all the interpretation and companionship
- having the support car guiding you
- with friends on a self guided tour.
1st cycling day from Palmela to Setubal
2nd cycling day from Setubal to Vila Nova de Santo André
3rd cycling day from Vila Nova de Santo André do Vila Nova de Mil Fontes
4th cycling day from Vila Nova de Mil Fontes to Aljezur
5th cycling day from Aljezur to Sagres
6th cycling day from Sagres to Lagos
Prices per person – 2023Departures everyday for all types of Tour. Come on our set dates and Get a Better Price.
Discount price if you book 2 tours!Tour extension: Continue Cycling with us to the gorgeous inland of the Alentejo and do the Castles and Wine Tour. Notes:
- For a single person tour Contact us.
- For a massage Contact us.
- Extra nights – we strongly recommend that you do one or two breaks along the way. There are great places that deserve an extra night (see the programme). We will charge you only the cost of the hotel and 5 € per day per bike.
Guided group tour dates
You can do this tour at any date as a private guided tour or as a self guided tour. So contact us anyway!
Great tour for fit people wanting to do a bit of exercise. E bikes are a good option if you have some not so fit partner. We took the van guided option. For 2 or 4 people it’s enough. Our guide, Jorge, was really good and managed to be everywhere!
‘Go Active’ Bike Tour (Van Guided) Great trip, well organized, great time!
Amazing trip through Alentejo, Costa Vicentina, and into the Algarve. The trip was super-well organized and the routes varied and fun. Everything from aslphalt to near-technical mountain bike trails, even a single-track-type trail along a canal… Hotel and meal choices excellent – ranging from nice to spectacular! Highly recommend Portugal Best Cycling and Turaventur!
Caveat: For the ‘Go Active’ tour, the description is VERY ACCURATE: you should love to climb hills, and go fast and hard on your bike. Don’t sign up for this trip casually!
We chose ‘go active’ because it had longer days and we got to see more of the country than with other options, but by the time the trip came up, we were not prepared for the longer distances and the stamina required- in spite of the description spelling it out clearly! We switched to ‘Van Guided’ after originally booking ‘self-guided,’ and thank goodness we did. Our expert guide Jorge was fun and pragmatic- and a bit of a life – saver! Always ready with water refills, snacks, and local knowledge! The partially-guided tour included great meals and bike rentals – turned out to be an excellent value! Would do this again in a heart beat – but please consider easier trips with shorter days so you can truly enjoy the relaxed pace of life in Portugal. Though Lisbon was great (not our our tour) Lagos, Lagos was the only disappointing part of the bike trip- it’s very populated with resorts, condos, golf courses, etc. We loved the less populated and comparatively rural areas west and north.
Thanks so much to the terrific team at PBC/Turaventur!
Leave a Review